Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Family.

So things are going good. I'm still on a postpartum high. I really missed my energy, my appetite, my ability to bend over, my ability to chase Sol, to hold him normally, to read him stories with him on my lap. I missed feeling like myself. I really missed being able to sleep under the covers with my hubby instead of sprawled out on top of the sheets with the ac blaring and a fan blowing on me while I still sweat. I missed my girly figure. There are lots of other things too.

But she was definitely worth it. I'd do it all again to get her here. To get to meet her, get to know her (we're still working on that). To look in her intense alert little blue eyes. To hear her purr while she sleeps. To kiss her delicious little chubby cheeks. And she's such a good baby. Really. She's amazing.

Poor little Sol really struggled as an infant. He had pretty severe acid reflux. His medication made it so he didn't scream 24/7 but he still was in a lot of pain. He had to be held a certain way, he had to be bounced almost constantly. As soon as he got a little older, around 6-8 months, he turned into a different child. He's been the easiest, most delightful kid since. But those first 6 months were really hard. I did not enjoy his infant stage. I was ready for a repeat with this baby as reflux runs in families. But Ruby is a totally different baby. She's been sleeping 6 hours a night for the last 2 weeks. She only gets up once, eats, and then goes back to bed. Its awesome! She does have a touch a reflux which I spotted right away (once you've suffered through it with one baby you can spot it easily) and got a pX for her. With the prevacid she is seriously the easiest baby ever. Thanks for that one Heavenly Father. I appreciate it so much.

Sol is struggling with the changes. He's having a hard time sharing the attention. He's been naughty, on purpose, to get attention. It makes me so sad cause he's such a good kid normally. He's showing some signs of frustration, not toward Ruby but toward me. In the past I've told so many of my friends in the same situation "Don't worry, every first child goes through this. In a few months he'll be back to his normal self." But right now I'd really like someone else to tell me the same thing. I just don't want it to change him forever, for the worse. I'd love to hear some words of encouragement, or advice.

So that's where things are today. Day 2 with 2 kids by myself. Its not so bad.

Actually today started out pretty rough. I woke up with a pounding headache. I have hypoglycemia and sometimes nursing totally depletes me. I got up twice to eat a snack last night and still woke up ravenously hungry. So this morning I loaded up the kids and went to McDonalds where I ate 1.5 McGrilddles and a large glass of ice water. I know, thats a lot of calories, but whatever. After letting Sol play for about 45 min we left for the grocery store for my first solo trip with Sol and Ruby. On my way out of the parking lot I backed into a white dodge stratus that tried to squeeze between me and another car right as I looked over my opposite shoulder. I didn't even feel the car hit because I was going so slow. None the less there was white paint on my bumper. Dang it.

My head was still pounding. By the time we got home from the store Ruby was starving so once I got her fed, and Sol fed and down for a nap I felt wasted. I took one of those giant motrins left over from the hospital and laid down with Ruby. After a little nap we're all much better.

Okay, now for the real reason I sat down to write this post...Family! We had lots of family around for the 2 weeks after Ruby was born. Dave's family had a sort of reunion planned during that time and so we decided to bless Ruby then so everyone could be there. Here are some pics of Dave's fam (minus Lisa :() one night that we hung out at uncle Mikes farm. It was so much fun! The weather was awesome and the chickens provided awesome entertainment for the kidos. And then some pics from Ruby's blessing day.



So life with 2 kids is not so bad. Not as hard as I thought it might be, but I know I'm just at the beginning.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

sigh. it is hard. it gets better. just remember YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS. you are awesome. hooray for you. :)

Dave Cook said...

Hey... What happened to that giant cake?

Holly said...

It really does all work out! For me, going from 1 to 2 kids was HARD. They were 23 months apart & Ethan went through the same stages-being naughty on purpose for attention & taking his frustrations out on me (which is definitley better than him taking them out on the baby) But the good news is...WE SURVIVED! And you will too. And the best part is, Ethan & Kamden are the best of friends. Ethan was able to adjust and he realized he'd survive having to share mom's attention. So hang in there! And awesome job on venturing out to the grocery store with 2 kiddos-it's not easy!

Jessica said...

I think it is a Ruby thing. Our Ruby is the sweetest little baby ever. I guess it just fits them to have a sweet old lady name. Oh man I remeber those first trips out. I think I cried most of those days

M and D said...

Oh Meggie...wish I was there girl! But, it's all worth it when you see their first smile, hear their first laugh and when they can finally say "I love you Mommy." It's moments like that, that are miracles sent from above to get us through:). Ruby is beautiful, and you can do HARED THINGS!!

Tiffany Johnson said...

Hey. We need to chat. I'm sorry it didn't work out the other day. Next week. I TOTALLY get what you're going through with all of this. It gets better, I promise. Ruby is such a little sweetie. And Sol is too. He's testing you...

Let's get together soon.

Heidi said...

Just hang in there. I was worried and nervous about 2 kids, too. We've survived and I actually enjoy it now. The first 6-8 weeks were the hardest for me, trying the adjust to a new baby again, while dividing my attention between the baby and my son was draining me. I felt horrible that I couldn't give C the attention he was used to getting. We figured out a solution that works for us and now we are all happy and loving each other again! You guys will find something that works for you, and it will get better!!