Wednesday, November 28, 2007

If you have nothing else to talk about, talk about the weather...

Utah Valley weather is pathetic. I have to vent. I realize it's been a particularly dry year and that normally we have a few snow storms hit by now, but I'm continually envious of those that live even an hour north because they actually have weather. I realize that because of how Utah Valley is positioned we're not prone to getting hit with as much as those that live right by the Great Salt Lake or even in SLC. I understand the logical reasons why weather is the way it is down here, but my frustration is really coming to a head. Maybe its the pregnancy hormones.

We were supposed to have snow from yesterday afternoon through the night. I was so excited for winter to finally show itself. I couldn't wait to wake up and see a winter wonderland! I think we got maybe a disappointing 20 minutes of snow that melted when it hit the ground. This morning, nothing. This kind of pattern repeats itself all year round. In the summer big dark thunderstorm clouds will roll in, the winds will blow like crazy, and then we'll get 10 minutes of rain, and thats it! And those storms only come like twice a summer! Its very disappointing. I find myself craving bad weather. We'll get reports all day of how Salt Lake City is getting pounded with snow or that its pouring rain or in Davis County, but we'll only get a sprinkle down here. I can't take it.

After living in Laramie Wyoming (where they coined the term 'ground blizzards'), Cedar Rapids Iowa (tornado alley and "movie" thunderstorms), Rexburg Idaho (the frozen tundra), and Logan Utah (Canyon Winds mixed with freezing inversions) I realize that I LOVE crazy weather! I love the excitement of it. I love how you feel like all hell is breaking loose outside your window and you get to watch at a close but safe distance. I love having to run to my car to avoid getting soaked by rain or whipped by blizzard winds. I love waking up in the middle of the night to thunder that sounds like its going to knock the house down. I love having to get a running start to make it through the drift that's formed in your drive way. Its exciting! And Utah Valley just plain falls short.

7 comments:

Joseph said...

NOOOOOOOOOO........

Please don't wish the snow upon us!!!!!

Garrit Jacobson said...

Oh, Megan. I wish I shared your meteorological enthusiasm. I'm already so sick this awful winter weather. I HATE the snow!

Get me back to California where the only "weather" is "mostly sunny with a high of 76 degrees"!

Jon said...

Megan, I agree, we do not enjoy half the excitement that you get out of the weather in Wyoming...in Utah we actually have snowplows, electricity, insulation, and garages.

Provo river, let 'er buck.

melissa said...

i totally agree! I'm sooo happy to be here in TX getting the serious thunderstorms where the street floods, wind howls, thunder breaks, lightening strikes, rain pours so hard you can't see even with your wipers on high---i like crazy weather too! (i don't miss the snow though too much)

Leah said...

Well, you sure got your weather today!

Unknown said...

I miss the snow, but I only want it for one day. It needs to completely melt by the next day.

Cindy Wilson said...

please get back with me and let me know where the ultrasound place is in Utah. thanks