Sunday, June 8, 2008

Solomon's Crib


I've been meaning to write a post about Solomon's crib since before he was born. Solomon has a very special crib. His Grandpa spent a few months this winter making it for him. I have to brag about my dad's abilities for a minute, my dad makes furniture as a hobby. I think he got started right after my parents were married, out of necessity really. My dad is one of those guys who can pretty much do anything, he just reads the manual and does it. He even sewed up his own leg one time; a story for another time... He's made all the furniture in my parents house, and its really gorgeous stuff. He has a gift.

I simply found a picture of a crib I liked and he drew up the plans and made the crib from scratch. The crib is made out of walnut. The first time I saw I teared up a little just because I could feel the time and love and care that went into making it. Solomon (and the rest of our children that will use this crib) is lucky a boy.

I hope you noticed the bumper pads in the crib. My sister Melissa is another wealth of talent in our family. She is an excellent seamstress and made these bumper pads for Solomon and the crib sheet. She's working on a quilt that matches. She also simply took a picture of what I liked and made this crib set based off the picture and the fabric I'd chosen. Thanks so much Melissa! I'm in love with Sol's crib! What a blessed boy he is to be so loved.

5 comments:

Tiffany Johnson said...

Why can't I have such great connections???!!! :-) It really is a beautiful crib. Nate and I STILL talk about how amazing that crib is. And the bedding is adorable. I love the colors. What a lucky boy he is!

Carrie said...

That is a beautiful crib with beautiful bedding. You have a wonderfully talented family. I didn't know that Melissa sewed, she did a wonderful job!!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Oooooo! I wish I could get a new crib. That is soooo cute. I love his stripes. We need to see little Solomon soon.

Lisa & Tyler said...

I've always raved about your crib and bedding...what a keepsake. I tried to get Ty to make one for Josh before he was born, but to no avail :) Maybe someday! See you guys soon.
Lisa

Dave said...

Dave, congratulations on your new baby! I just stumbled across your blog from Billy's. Awesome to see that you guys are doing great!

Crazy how you can stumble across old friends on blogger eh?

We have a little girl now too (14 mo's) and have a blog that is pretty much dedicated to her. Drop a line sometime - it would be great to catch up.

dkellerdesign@gmail.com