Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I can

I'm learning a new skill to add to my homemaking quiver that I'm quite proud of. Mainly because this always seemed like something that was not really me, not something I would spend my time doing. See, this is my sister:
Well she could be. My sister, Melissa, has a natural ability to do anything homey related, cook, sew, grow, craft, etc. She's really much more talented than me. This is my sister:
(on the right)
She is teaching me the ways of provident living and surprisingly I'm loving it! She's taught me how to can! It feels so good to get so much food for so cheap and then preserve to last the year. We've made tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, jam, and zucchini relish. She's shown me how to do some other cool thinks with garden foods. She did a bunch of peaches for me too just out of the kindness of her heart. This weekend we're making applesauce. Wish us luck!

Maybe someday I too can be a Martha... yeah, probably not. But I'm digging the canning!

3 comments:

melissa said...

that's awesome! wish I was there too! i'm not super 'martha-y' but I'm getting there and it IS fun :)

Tiffany Johnson said...

SO MUCH FUN!!! i have so many things I want to can. I'm glad you are learning all this.. then you can teach me! :-)

Holly said...

Good for you! I'm always saying I need to be "domesticated" but haven't had much desire to can-I'm afraid we'll die if we actually ate my attempts :) But maybe next year!