Thursday, June 24, 2010

5 Years

5 years ago yesterday I woke up at 5:00 am. I showered, shaved my legs, carefully put on my makeup, had my hair curled. I rode with my parents to the Salt Lake Temple where I met Dave and married him for forever. I was nervous, I was excited, I knew I loved Dave but I also knew that marriage was hard and life didn't make it easy. But I knew I loved Dave. I knew he was my very best friend above everything else. I knew he loved me and wanted me to be happy more than anything. I trusted him with everything. And so I decided that morning to never look back, to dive in with my everything, my whole heart, my whole head. He was mine and I was his forever. And with that decision came peace. Sweet peace. And that peace has been the biggest blessing of my life. It's never left. With Dave I'm home.

Yesterday marked our 5 year anniversary. With our current circumstances (just bought a house and a lawn mower and all those fun home owner things you get to buy when you have a house AND I'm 8.5 months pregnant) we didn't plan anything too grand to celebrate. We got a babysitter. A good one who loves sol and makes dinner and cleans up after herself. She's awesome. We drove up to Park City to our favorite restaurant, Ruths Chris, and ate on their back deck. The temperature was perfect. The view was beautiful. And the food, oh so good.

On the drive up to Park City Dave gave me my anniversary present. He'd been working on it late nights for the last few days at a friends house. I had no idea what it was, who he was working on it with or what it was. I kept joking he was getting a tattoo of my face on his hiney. I would have been okay with that. :)

He turned on a CD and it started to play. Guitar....okay...then the voice. It was him! He gave me my own song that he recorded professionally! My heart melted into a puddle on the floor. I was so in shock at the present and amazed at how good he sounded. This isn't something he's done before or even mentioned. I knew he played the guitar and sang but its totally just a hobby. And compared to his other hobbies it took a back seat. So my heart just melted. You can listen to the song here. And Dave played/sang every part you hear:


And then the next song came on. It's a song he recorded for Solomon. We love the lyrics to this song. If you have boys or just kids for that matter I think you'll understand. Notice he changes the lyrics at the end to make the song especially Sol's.



*sigh*
I'm so in love with this man.

Here's some of my favorite pics from the last 6 years (5+ dating).

7 comments:

Kipp and Gelsey said...

Wow... what a sweet and thoughtful gift! And what a talented husband you have! Did Dave write the first song? I know he at least added the Laramie part... ha ha! And I love, love, LOVE Godspeed... I put it on a new dad CD for Kipp when I was pregnant with Bode and it makes me cry every time I hear it.
Happy anniversary to you two!

Kris said...

Ok Dave. You rock. (literally :-) Those songs melted MY heart and they're not even for me! Funny thing is we love Godspeed too because it reminds us of Logan. He actually asks to listen to it when we're in the car sometimes. My favorite lyrics are "God bless Mommy and matchbox cars..." because that's exactly something Logan would say. He blesses everything in sight when he's saying his prayers. :-)
Happy Anniversary guys!

Ellie said...

So cute. Dave is a champ, and a sweetheart! Happy Anniversary to you two- i love that we share the same Anniversary (well, almost...a week apart, but it's basically the same :) )- it's fun to share life in all of it's unique stages with people as wonderful as you two! hope you're feeling well...cant' wait for Baby Girl Cook to make her debut! hug to you.

Ellie said...

um, Ellie = me. Marci.
i've been updating her blog, believe it or not! don't get too excited :)
miss you guys.

Tiffany Johnson said...

Oh man... what a great anniversary. What a super star Dave is. I'm glad he made it so special for you.

Jeepite said...

Way to make Major Points!!!

M and D said...

Sweet Memories! Congrats my dear friend!