Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Gift that Keeps on Giving...

I got a lot of really great things this Christmas. Dave always spoils me. However I received one gift that I'm still just giddy over. We finally got a dishwasher! Woohoo! I can't explain how excited I am. My parents gave it to us for Christmas. We decided to put the dishwasher in the back corner of the kitchen where a cupboard is. It would fit perfectly there. After we bought the dishwasher Dave and I were looking at the cupboard discussing how we'd install it, when we saw a big black pipe running through the back of the cupboard. With the size and position of the pipe we determined the dishwasher would stick out from the cupboard about 4 inches. This would not do. But we already had the dishwasher! I was so upset. All that stood between me and a clean, dirty dish free kitchen was a big black pipe, and it wasn't going anywhere. The wall behind the pipe was cement so it couldn't be moved.


We decided to call Tyler, our brother in law who has professionally done custom cabinets for years. He took a look and decided we should just rebuild the entire bottom set of cabinets. The old ones were in pretty bad shape and it would be pointless to try to salvage them. So the weekend after Christmas, he and Dave built all new cabinets and doors. We bought new countertop from Home Depot and this last week we got it all installed. I'm in heaven!!! Not only is the dishwasher installed and running beautifully, but I got all new cabinets to boot! We're going to do the top ones in a few weeks. Here are some pics:






7 comments:

Marce said...

wow i love the multiple views of the kitchen...i'm so jealous! i can't wait to actually OWN my living space. that will be nice (sigh). it's lovely!

Kris said...

Your cupboard doors look so good! Great pick. And hooray on the dishwasher...I remember the excitement; You feel like dirtying dishes just so you can wash them!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! I remember the first day I finally had a dishwasher. I will NEVER go back to not having one. Jordan and I got in too many fights about dishes back then!! Great cabinets too. We need to get together soon!!

Dave Cook said...

Weird, fights about dirty dishes? Never.

Tiffany Johnson said...

I love it!!! just like I said on Facebook.. I really want to come see them! And your dishwasher looks so fun!

melissa said...

It's like the best kitchen that ever was! ours definitely didn't look that great but I did love our dishwasher! Our one here is not too nice but functional except it's not secured underneath to the countertop and will fall forward if you don't hold it in place with your foot while you load...the joys of renting still abound in my life!

Robyn said...

You guys have done an amazing job! I hardly recognized the place. I found your link off of Jon and Jess's blog and it's been fun to catch up on what you are up to. Congrats on the baby!