Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Your baby can read!

Let me preface this post by saying, I really hope this doesn't come off as self-righteous.

You've seen those comercials, right? Where the 9 month old is reading words like "ambidextrous" and "antidisestablishmentarianism". Your baby can read by watching these videos! It kind of makes me sad for the poor kid that is expected to be reading before he can wipe himself. Most kids learn to read, why push it on them at such an early age....

I had kind of a surreal moment today as Sol and I were looking at books. This is easily one of Sol's favorite books. Its full of colorful fish and sea creatures. He loves to look at it and read it over and over. His favorite page is where the fish swim round and round. We all have to say it, "Round and Round" over and over.

The last page of the book says "Hello Mom! Hello Little Fish! Kiss Kiss Kiss, Horray for Fish!"

Tonight as we turned to this page Sol recited the whole thing by himself!

Its the first time he's ever 'read' or rather recited words on a page. I was thrilled, not that my baby could 'read' rather that he was learning to comprehend and remember a story.

I don't tell this story to brag (well maybe a little cause I'm his mom) but point out that there may be a little more to teaching your kids to read than planting them in front of the tv while they watch several hours of flash cards. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I havne't visited your blog in a long long time but the "Hooray for fish" pic showed up on my bloglist and intrigued me, because that is Daniel's FAVORITE book. Mind you, Daniel (who's not much younger than Sol) still doesn't speak, so reading is right out... but I sure as heck have that book memorized! You should be one proud momma!

darlajean's dream said...

Oh, what a smart grandson I have!!! Grandma's are suppose to brag and I will! Sol is so smart and such a sweetie!!! I love your blog Megan!!!