Monday, April 7, 2008

Is this the hill you wish to die on...

I'm cleaning up my cubicle at work, taking home personal things so that when the baby comes my cubie will be mostly cleaned out. I've had a little post-it note on my monitor for 3 years now that says "Is this the hill you wish to die on." Its a quote I heard from Dr. Laura, she was quoting a war general from either the Revolutionary or Civil War. I can't remember which. The battle was getting pretty ugly and it appeared this General's men were losing hope. He said to each of his men, "Is this the hill you wish to die on?" This simple statement gave them men the courage and strength to keep on fighting. They eventually defeated their enemy.

Dr. Laura used the quote to teach that several times in life we feel despair, we feel like giving up. It seems there is no way out of the situation we're in, big or small. But are these the circumstances in which you want quit? Is this really the last straw? Do you really want to throw in the towel? Is this the hill you wish to die on? My answer is always no. Not here. I can get through this. I can keep going. Remembering this little quote helps me to keep a good perspective.

It's never quite as bad as it sometimes feels. Heavenly Father loves each of us and always makes a way. :)

Have a nice day!

10 comments:

Dave Cook said...

I'll make sure to quote this to you during labor when you're in transition and it feels like you're about ready to explode and you give in and want the epidural; "Now Honey, is this the hill you wish to die on?" :)

melissa said...

yes! the epidural hill is the one to take :-) just kidding. 18 days!!! i can hardly wait (well-i bet YOU can hardly wait!) GOOD LUCK!

Holly said...

What a great quote and great way to look at challenging situations. Good luck from us, too! I've gone through childbirth twice, once with an epidural and once without...good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Epidural!! But then, I was too whimpy to even THINK of not having one. :-) Thanks for the quote, Megan. I'm putting it on my computer right now. Very inspirational message--I love your blog! 17 days!! Wahoo!! You can do it, girl. Love you guys.

darlajean's dream said...

You are amazing Megan! I Love You!
Mom

darlajean's dream said...

You are amazing Megan! I Love You!
Mom

Heidi said...

I absolutely love that quote!! Thanks for posting it, it is such a great inspiration to keep going even when you want to just give up.
So you're going the natural route? I applaud you, I wasn't that courageous!! Best of luck to you!
So are you getting excited? I'm excited to see pictures! :) I hope all goes well for you!

Tiffany Johnson said...

K, Dave has to be one of the funniest guys I know. Just for that, i'll have to bring him some brownies soon! :-) Thanks for that quote! It's a good one!

Dave Cook said...

Yes! Tiffany brownies!

Brandon and Amy Despain said...

Great quote! I just got my wisdom teeth out and it's been a rough recovery but that's so true that even when something is difficult, you have to find something that will help you overcome it and not give up. How are you doing? I can't believe you're going to have your baby so soon!