Sunday, May 31, 2009

Why we love Wyoming

When I was in elementary school all the children were taught to sing "We Are Wyoming," a song about Wyoming and why it's such a great state. It goes something like this...

"We are Wyoming, proud and freeeeee, we are what America is meant to be..."

Okay its a pretty cheesy song. But we all sang it and loved it. Any way, during our last trip to Wyoming over Memorial weekend, I kept thinking of all the reasons we love Wyoming. Here are just a few:

1. Beautiful - May is an incredible time to visit because the scenery is green and beautiful. The weather is nice, not summer yet but perfect cool spring weather. And they get great storms, usually in the afternoon. Some of you may remember my fascination with storms.



I took these pictures with my phone on the drive home.

2. Simple - People who live in Wyoming far less materialistic. Stuff is nice but just doesn't mean the same thing it does other places, especially in Utah. In fact if you are flashy with your money most people are pretty turned off. That simplicity is refreshing. Nobody cares what you're wearing, what you're driving, or where you spent your last fabulous vacation. Most are far more comfortable if you're in jeans and a t shirt, driving an old beater, sharing a beer. (Not at the same time, they don't encourage drinking and driving :))

3. Space - There is a lot of room to run around. Wyoming is the least populated state in the country, less than half a million people live in the state. But they like it that way. They don't want a big city with big box stores. Most people who live in Wyoming moved there because of this very reason. And its nice. The sky is huge and you can go for miles with out seeing any civilization. Antelope are another story, they are abundant. :) (The antelope factor doesn't contribute to my love of Wyoming, I could care less either way about them).

Dave took this picture when he rode from Laramie to Cheyenne on his road bike on Happy Jack road. You can read more about his ride here.

4. People - Especially these people.

We really enjoy visiting my parents home. Sol especially.








Thanks for a great weekend Mom, Dad, Michelle and Matthew! See you soon!

5 comments:

Dave Cook said...

I have to say, it has grown on me and there really is a special simplicity I feel when visiting. Very comforting.

Kipp and Gelsey said...

I totally remember that "We Are Wyoming" song... Ha ha! I was in Wyoming for Memorial Day, too. While I love rain (and lightning, and thunder), it sort of ruined our BBQ. I wish I'd known you were in town, we could have gotten Sol and Bode together for a playdate!

Michelle said...

I have to tell you, when I moved to wyoming, I was OVERCOME with the un-materialism going on. it was refreshing, and it changed me forever.

plus it was filled with genuine people like you. :)

go wyoming. :)

Jean Bean said...

You've given me another perspective on your state. It seems like a place one could get used to in a "deep breath" sort of way. You represent the good in Wyoming, Meg.

darlajean's dream said...

You blow me away Megan...I love to read your writings and the pictures are awesome!